I guess you could try putting it italic in html style (i.e. In the XML
put <i>value</i> )

I'm not sure what the escaping that gwtoolset does is, so I have no
idea if it will work, but worth a shot. Failing that, you could make a
separate template and have the italics be added in the separate
template.