S.D.Mechveliani writes:
> Dear ghc developers,
>
> Could you, please, tell me
>
> 1. What are the  ghc  plans concerning the  overlapping instances ?
>    For it looks like  ghc-3.02  does not support them.

It does, but the 3.02 driver doesn't `re-export' the command-line option
expected by the compiler proper. Try invoking ghc with

   -optC-fallow-overlapping-instances

and see if that helps.

> 2. What is the recent ghc developers vision of overlapping instances?
>    - when compared with the  Choice 3a,3b  from the Jones & Jones
>    paper "Type classes: an exploration of the design space".

I'll leave the visionary statements to the authors of that paper :-)
BTW, there's a way of simulating overlapping instances within the
boundaries of the current Haskell type classes design, see
Erik Meijer's note on this

http://x7.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=317315535&CONTEXT=896959042.1530724451&hitnum=12

(it is based on the trick/hack used for the Show class in the Standard
 Prelude to deal with String.)

--Sigbjorn