Sven writes:

> P.S.: Something completely unrelated: Why is majordomo.haskell.org
>       expanded to scarlet.cam.uk.eu.microsoft.com in the To:-field?
>       IMHO this is a bad idea, e.g. when people cut-and-paste this
>       into their address books and scarlet is renamed to e.g. rhett. :-)
>
> P.P.S.: Adding a prefix in the Subject:-field (e.g. [ghcu]) would make
>         mail filters work more reliably. Lots of other mailing lists
>         do something similar.

Ugh!  No!  The Return-Path: field has everything required for g-h-u.

I find for practically all the lists I subscribe to either the Return-Path: or the
Sender: field are sufficient for the filter.  Adding noise to an in-band field like
Subject: would be annoying and distracting; far better to keep it in a field normally
hidden, as it is at present.

Certainly the real name of the mailer machine shouldn't be being transmitted, though,
for exactly the reason you describe.

--KW 8-)

--KW 8-)

--
: Keith Wansbrough, MSc, BSc(Hons) (Auckland) ------------------------:
: PhD Student, Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge, England. :