On Tue, Sep 21, 1999 at 21:54:55 +0200, Matthias Kilian wrote:
>> The best thing to do is use the anoncvs repository, and just 'cvs update'
>> to get the latest patches.  If you're running over a phone line then it
>> might help to make ssh do some compression.

or, alternatively, make CVS do the compression with `cvs -z6' ...

> Yes, but this requires at least one complete checkout. Of course, after
> this is done, cvs update will only load the diffs to newer versions.

You can also use the Debian *.orig.tar.gz tarballs. These are not Debian
specific in ANY way, but merely a checkout/update of the CVS repo. The CVS
specific files are left in the archive, so that one can easily update from
there.

The web-pages (and, from now on, the tarball name itself) tell you the date,
when they were updated last time.

> And: isn't there a risk to update the local sources to a `unstable'
> revision?

well, 4.04 also was `official', but not `stable' wrt. ghc-2.95... ;-))

Honestly, GHC seems to be improving whenever I look at it. I tend to see
this more or less as "bleeding edge" development: if you work with it and
something breaks, tell the upstream people, and normally you get fixes very
quickly. If you hate waiting, try whether previous versions work (IIRC, our
site has versions installed down to 0.29 :-)).

Besides, if the current CVS version is screwed, in most cases this compiler
won't compile itself...

> I'll use cvs to get the latest ghc, but nevertheless I suggest to publish
> patch files for future releases of ghc. This shouldn't be too difficult:
>
> cvs co -r lastRel -d ghc.old ghc
> cvs co -D now ghc
> cd ghc
> diff -rNu ../ghc.old . > ../ghc.diffs
> cvs tag -F lastRel
> cd ..
> cvs -q rel -d ghc.old
> cvs -q rel -d ghc

    $ cvs rdiff -r rev1 [-r rev2] ghc

should do the same, besides the tagging stuff.
Alternatively, if there's already a co'd copy, you can do

    $ cvs diff -r oldRev | cvs-fix.pl

where cvs-fix.pl fixes the broken +++/--- lines:  directory structure isn't
honored (at least, up to cvs-1.10.4).
cvs-fix.pl is attached.

Cheers,
Michael
--
The games industry is "a transfer of funds from the rich to the lucky".
                                -- /. on 1999/08/20

cvs-fix.pl