>> I think this message could be improved by adding some more
>> information:

> A reasonable request, but one that has a high
> implementation cost.

The first thing I do when I get a compiler error message I don't
understand is to run the same program through a different compiler.
Often, the explanation of the problem is sufficiently different that it
helps to find the real source of the error by a process of
"triangulation".  (nhc98 for instance gives precise (line:col) location
information throughout.)

Just thought I'd mention it as a helpful technique which can make
things easier in the meantime until the perfect compiler error-reports
are devised!

Regards,
    Malcolm