On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Frank A. Christoph wrote:

> > Peter Amstutz wrote:
> > > [...] I've fooled around a bit in Haskell and was a bit
> > > disconcerted by it's lack of syntactic sugar to indicate structure
> > > (the lack of semicolons to end expressions for example :)
> >
> > Strange, for me it was exactly the other way round when I first
> > used ML...   ;-)
>
> Me too, BTW.

You know, ML/Haskell could perhaps be compared to Pascal/C:  The former is
preferred by the computer science community for it's elegance and
verbosity, the latter is pefered by hackers for it's flexibility :)

> > > [...] I want to be able to dynamically link in C libraries to to
> > > intersting things from ML or Haskell just as easily as I could from
> > > C/C++.
> >
> > I don't know exactly what you mean by "dynamically":
>
> I think he means "dynamically" w.r.t. compiler compile-time. :) With SML/NJ,
> you have to, essentially, add new primitives to the compiler in order to
> call C.

Yes exactly.  I just want to be able to use my C libs without having to
recompile the compiler :)

> >      Quake 2's ability to switch the renderer during runtime; well,
> >      Quake 2 is not written in Haskell, but that is probably only
> >      because John Carmack didn't know our beloved language then :-)

I understand this is a rather tricky situation since the things you get
out of libdl are bare void *s, all glimmers of typesafty be damned.
However, I'm not worried about this capability, just the first one :)

           ------- http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~tetron -------