(Sent to glasgow-haskell-users rather than haskell, as it is GHC-specific.)

If we were writing a C library rather than a Haskell library, we could make
"head" a macro which included an appropriate message referring to __FILE__
and __LINE__.  The equivalent in Glasgow Haskell would be to make head inline,
and include a primHaskellFile (and if possible, though I doubt it, primHaskellLine)
which got replaced at a late stage by the actual name of the current module.  This
would be useful for locating other error messages as well.  For example I have
a debug action which (if debugging is turned on) prints out messages to a file;
if we had a primHaskellFile I could make this debug message automatically refer
to the calling module, which would be nice.