Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:
> As for the language standard: I hope that Char will be allowed or
> required to have >=30 bits instead of current 16; but never more than
> Int, to be able to use ord and chr safely.
Er does it have to?  The Java Virtual Machine implements Unicode with
16 bits.  (OK, so I suppose that means it can't cope with Korean or Chinese.)
So requiring Char to be >=30 bits would stop anyone implementing a
conformant Haskell on the JVM.  (I feel strongly about this having been
involved with MLj, which compiles ML to JVM; Standard ML requires 8-bit
chars, a requirement we decided to ignore.)