> Actually, I find it difficult to extract the sometimes drastic
> differences between releases from that document (just one example:
> does this release include last week's bugfixes in the Network
> module?). How do I find out about the various bugfixes between
> releases, to decide whether or not to upgrade (and whether or not
> upgrading will help with specific problems)?
>
> After all, the reason for patchlevel releases is that you've fixed
> some bugs, so why be so secretive about what these fixes are?-)

The release notes doesn't contain bugfixes, and the reason we don't have
a list of them is because I'm too lazy to keep track of what bug fixes
have been merged in, sorry!

The Network fix wasn't merged in (just too late).

Ok, I'll take a look at the diffs and summarise the fixes... here goes:

  - Literal strings could be duplicated sometimes

  - fixes for deriving Eq/Enum on large datatypes in GHCi

  - -no-hs-main has a sensible meaning in --make mode now
    (it forces linking even if there's no Main)

  - Fix for avoiding recompilation when there are stub files
    around (didn't pick up the stubs properly before)

  - Fixes for FFI decls containing type variables

  - MacOS X fixes for GHCi

  - Filenames with spaces don't cause problems in GHCi now

  - GHCi doesn't get confused if your code installs a
    signal handler for ^C

  - -pgmL now works as advertised

  - specifying filenames without the trailing .hs/.lhs works
    again in --make and GHCi.

  - Fix for "class ops that do not introduce foralls" (a
    cause of crashes with certain kinds of class methods).

  - Fix a crash when a class op is used as a record selector

  - Fix for deriving on records with fields with names with
    leading underscores.

  - Fixes for passing/returning FunPtr in the FFI

  - hsc2hs works in a binary distribution

  - Fixes for crashes in the biographical and retainer
    profilers.

  - Some signals were inadvertently blocked by the RTS

  - Uninitialised variable in the storage manager causes
    crashes

  - Fix for hp2ps -c

  - hsc2hs should now work on Windows

  - Fix off-by-one in Data.PackedString.splitWithPS

  - uninitialised elements in UArrays are now filled with zero.

  - Integer divide by zero is now consistently a catchable
    exception (previously it could just result in SIGFPE).

  - Fix for terminal buffering on Solaris

  - System.Console.GetOpt fixes

  - Fix for converting Integer to Int64/Word64

  - Network.accept doesn't fail if the host fails to
    reverse-lookup.