Christian Maeder wrote:

 So - do you need Latin-1, or could you use UTF-8?

I'm not amused to change the encoding of many haskell source files (particular of those that are not mine).

Fair enough, but there will have to be some way to specify the encoding, either via a pragma, command-line option, or the locale. I'm really not sure what is the best choice here. Perhaps all three, with locale being the default, overriden by pragmas and command-line options.

The easiest way for us to handle encodings other than UTF-8 is for it to be a new preprocessing step, running 'iconv'. (but what do we do on Windows? bundle iconv? ew.)

John - what do you plan to do here?

These files can then no longer be compiled by earlier ghcs (though I don't understand, how ghc-6.4.1 recognises the lexical error).

I'm tempted to replace "รค" bei "\228" in literals. What does haddock do with utf-8 in comments? Will DrIFT -- using read- and writeFile -- still work correctly?

Haddock needs to be updated too. But if GHC implements recoding via iconv, you can use GHC as a preprocesor to recode back to Latin-1; since you have to use GHC as a preprocessor with Haddock anyway, this shouldn't be much harder (of course, if you use non-Latin-1 characters this fails). Eventually, when Haddock runs on top of GHC, the issue will go away :)

I don't know about DrIFT.