John Meacham wrote:
also, incidentally, for anyone on x86 that cares about math performance,
use -optc-fsse2 to make it use the much nicer math coprocessor available
on modern x86 cpus.

I object to its characterization as "nicer". It's faster, but *lower precision*. It worries me that people are so blithely abandoning those extra bits in the name of speed. A few years from now there's going to be an expensive engineering failure, and months of investigation will reveal that it was because a math library was compiled for SSE2. Be careful out there.

(And while I'm on the subject, Haskell should have a LongDouble type.)

-- Ben