And what would rotating an Integer mean? The only sensible interpretation I can think of is to make it behave like shift.

On Sep 18, 2006, at 23:46 , Peter Tanski wrote:

Welcome back! Since Data.Bits is not defined in the Haskell 1998 standard, are we free to change the implementation of Data.Bits? if we are free to change the implementation of Data.Bits, would it be all right to change the operation of rotate, rotateL and rotateR over unbounded types (to my knowledge, currently only Integer)? I would like to change rotate, rotateL and rotateR to actually rotate (not shift) Integers.

-Pete