Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
bulat.ziganshin:

Hello Donald,

Sunday, October 22, 2006, 9:04:02 AM, you wrote:

can't you define this call as 'safe'?

But is it safe. Hmm.... I get kind of queasy when mucking about in the rts.

i don't understand you (because of my weak English).

'safe' specifier is just says that function should be called in _safe_
way that will allow to continue execute other Haskell threads. for
functions declared as 'unsafe' GHC uses simplified call method that
freezes execution of all Haskell threads until called function will
return

look for details in http://www.haskell.org/~simonmar/papers/conc-ffi.pdf

Yes, I understand this. I just don't know how safe it is to have other
threads continue executing while I'm swapping code in and out of the
system...

Does indeed sound dodgy. The only way to prevent other threads from running altogether is to compile *without* -threaded and make an unsafe foreign call.