On Oct 23, 2006, at 8:59 AM, Björn Buckwalter wrote:

On 10/19/06, Simon Marlow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
See this page that I just created:

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/MacOSX

I tried these instructions, first by using my existing (darwinports)
readline in /opt/local, and when that failed by first installing
readline in /usr/local per the instructions. Neither fixed the
problem. I don't know why but perhaps I failed to remove the traces of
my initial install completely. In the end I gave up and installed Greg
Heartsfield's binary package which remedied my problems (thanks
Greg!).

I think I have this partially figured out.

When I install version 5.1 of readline, rl_readline_version is defined as follows in <readline/readline.h>:

/* **************************************************************** */
/*                                                                  */
/*                      Well Published Variables                    */
/*                                                                  */
/* **************************************************************** */

/* The version of this incarnation of the readline library. */
extern const char *rl_library_version;          /* e.g., "4.2" */
extern int rl_readline_version;                 /* e.g., 0x0402 */

However, in ghc-6.6, libraries/readline/configure has the following:

cat >>conftest.$ac_ext <<_ACEOF
/* end confdefs.h.  */

/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C"
#endif
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
   builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char rl_readline_version ();
int
main ()
{
rl_readline_version ();
  ;
  return 0;
}
_ACEOF

which is looking for rl_readline_version as a *function*. This fails (at the link stage on Darwin/Intel), even though GNU readline is installed, because the symbol type is wrong. The configure script concludes that libedit is being used, even though it's using GNU Readline v5.1.

Was rl_readline_version a function in earlier versions of GNU Readline?

Deborah