Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
simonmarhaskell:

Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:

Had a go today building GHC on a multcore linux box, with -j, just to
see how fast it would go.

More details here:
  http://cgi.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/blog/2006/12/03#build_ghc_fast

I'd be interested in how long it takes if you turn on -O for the stage 1 compiler only. The point being that it'll be slower to compile stage 1, but that compiler is then used to build all the libraries and stage 2, so the benefit of having an optimised stage 1 might outweigh the time it takes to build it.

Yes!

7 mins 49 seconds, with:

    SRC_HC_OPTS     = -H64m -Onot -fasm
    GhcStage1HcOpts = -O -fasm
    GhcStage2HcOpts = -Onot -fasm
    GhcLibHcOpts    = -Onot -fasm
    GhcLibWays      =
    SplitObjs       = NO

and -j10, on a 4 core linux machine.

Great - although with unoptimised libraries this build isn't really much use except as a sanity check. How much extra time does it take if you optimise the libraries?

When the new 16 core box arrives, I'll set up a nightly build to ensure
the -jN building keeps working.

Nice :) Hopefully we'll have BuildBot set up soon, so adding new nightly builds will be easy.