On Tue, 2006-19-12 at 13:13 +0000, Simon Marlow wrote:

> > Is this me opening up a Pandora's Box of ignorance here?  Or is LLVM
> > potentially interesting?  (And were someone motivated into perhaps
> > trying to make an LLVM back-end, where would one start to poke around
> > in, say, the GHC codebase to even begin to implement this?  And how
> > insane would they be driven by the process?)

> Apologies for the slow reply.  Actually I think this is a pretty cool idea
> (with
> a disclaimer that I know very nearly nothing about LLVM).  Provided there are
> no
> serious gotchas, what you need to do is write a new backend for GHC that
> translates Cmm to LLVM.  This should be pretty straightforward: for example,
> the
> Cmm->C code generator is only 1000 lines of Haskell:
>
>    http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc/compiler/cmm/PprC.hs
>
> I hope LLVM lets you put data next to code, which is what GHC needs for its
> info
> tables.  Also I hope it lets you fix global registers.

Well, I'm almost entirely ignorant of LLVM and of Haskell -- especially
the internals of both.  That makes me ideally suited for this project
since I'm not aware that it's impossible.  :D

Do you mind, Simon, if, since I've pretty much decided that I want to
tackle this, I pick your brains a lot for the Haskell internals side of
the fence?

--
Michael T. Richter
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"To [the Chinese], all other people are barbarians." --The Dalai Lama