Ian Lynagh wrote:
On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 08:36:29AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 12:59:17PM +0000, Simon Marlow wrote:
There seems to be a common misconception that forkOS is necessary to get certain kinds of concurrency, and forkIO won't do. I don't know where this comes from: the documentation does seem to be quite clear to me. The only reason to use forkOS is for interacting with foreign code that uses thread-local state; everytyhing else can be done with forkIO (and it is usually better to use forkIO).
>From reading the docs, it sounds like forkIO keeps everything in a
single OS thread/process.  Doesn't this mean that a program that uses
forkIO instead of forkOS loses out on SMP machines?

You can use e.g. +RTS -N2 to use 2 OS threads.

I've added a sentence to the forkOS docs to say that you don't need forkOS to get parallelism.