Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
[..]
To really understand what is going on, I suggest looking at the
-ddump-simpl output as you change the inlining settings. Then you'll see
how GHC is moving code about.

-- Don (who's spent the last 2 weeks playing the simplifer/inliner game)
Thanks, but actually (with Jeremy's and your suggestion on haskell-cafe about the INLINE directive) I have got back the performance that I had (actually even better than before), I don't want to *really* understand it ;-). I was thinking that maybe someone else here would have liked to understand it. Especially the fact that profiling gives exactly the opposite trend as the executable without profiling (the fastest program becomes the slowest and vice versa) when using -O2 is annoying.

Fawzi