Yitzchak Gale wrote:
Christian Maeder wrote:
The extended packages "2" could go under extra libs or hackageDB, while
   "1" remains a boot package for ghc that can link to editline on macs
and readline under linux, but has the same interface and package name!

I would hope that ghc will link to editline-ext on all platforms.
That gives ghc the functionality it needs without getting
into legal trouble with the license. Then those who want the full
readline interface can install readline-ext, and those who
want the full editline interface can install editline.

GHC is in no legal trouble whatsoever... only if proprietary Haskell code uses the readline library and doesn't switch to using the editline backend. On Linux here I have readline installed and not editline currently, so it seems silly to require installing editline by default ("default" meaning "if I don't want to, I have to figure out the right configure flag to give to allow readline to be used"). It makes sense to use editline by default for Mac and Windows builds though, where readline isn't native, I guess. Statically linking to editline for binary builds would be alright (not exporting any readline to ghc-compiled programs by default?). How is "Search for editline first; if not found, try to use readline"?

~Isaac