Remi Turk wrote:

during the past semester I followed a seminar on the "Efficient
implementation of functional languages" by Jeroen Fokker at the
University Utrecht. During that course we worked on a feedback
directed GHC optimisation, but that got me interested in another
possible GHC backend micro-optimisation:

The short story is this:

An 8 line patch to GHC, tested with ghc 6.8.2 on nofib, ignoring all
results with a < 0.5s runtime, yields an average runtime and
compile time improvement of about 0.6%.
The worst nofib slowdown is 5%, and the best speedup 8%
Whether this is acceptable/enough for inclusion, is of course not
up to me.

Hi Remi - thanks very much for the patch. It certainly looks worthwhile. I have some pending changes myself to mk_switch - it turns out that we're doing quite a bad job of compiling 3-way comparisons too (look at the code for fib sometime), so I'll try to incorporate your change into my refactorings.