Isaac Dupree:
Duncan Coutts wrote:
On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 15:46 +1000, Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
Raising the bar for developers to contribute to a project has been proven to be a very bad idea many times. Let's not take GHC down that path.
I don't especially relish having to learn another vcs tool or raising
the bar for contributions to Cabal either (we have lots of people who
make small one-off contributions).

I wonder how many of the libraries are "core" in that they need to be changed a lot for GHC?

The boot libraries, ie, those needed to build the HEAD of the ghc repo:

  SUBDIRS  = ghc-prim $(INTEGER_LIBRARY) base array packedstring
SUBDIRS += containers bytestring old-locale old-time filepath directory
  ifeq "$(GhcLibsWithUnix)" "YES"
  SUBDIRS += unix
  endif
  ifeq "$(Windows)" "YES"
  SUBDIRS += $(wildcard Win32)
  endif
SUBDIRS += process pretty hpc template-haskell editline Cabal random haskell98

Here Cabal, is ghc variant of the Cabal repo, not the actually Cabal head.

The whole point is to make sure that anybody who decides to hack GHC needs to install and learn just one vcs, not two.

Manuel