Norman Ramsey wrote:

I also see repeatedly that the distinction between the build system
and packaging system is blurry: both have to know about build targets,
dependencies, and so on.

At the time of the wonderful GHC Hackathon in Portland, where the GHC
API was first introduced to the public, I urged Simon PJ to consider
taking ghc --make and generalising it to support other languages.
I still think this would be a good project.

I don't want to speak for those involved, but I believe this is what the "make-like dependency framework for Cabal" SoC project is doing:

http://vezzosi.blogspot.com/2008/06/my-summer-of-code-project-dependency.html