Roman Leshchinskiy wrote:

But that is precisely my (other) point. A lot of that work is really unnecessary and could be done by Cabal since it only or mostly depends on the package information. Instead, it is implemented somewhere in Distribution.Simple and not really usable from the outside. For instance, a lot of the functionality of setup sdist, setup register and so on could be implemented generically and used by a make-based build system as well.

That's exactly what I'm proposing we do in GHC: re-use Cabal's setup register and some of the other parts of the simple build system in a make-based build system for packages. It might require a bit of refactoring of Cabal, but I don't expect it to be a major upheaval at all.

I think what you're proposing is mostly a matter of abstracting parts of Cabal with cleaner and more modular APIs, which is absolutely a good thing, but doesn't require a fundamental redesign. The tight coupling and lack of separation between Cabal's generic parts and the simple build system is somewhat accidental (lazy implementors :-), and is actually a lot better than it used to be thanks to the work Duncan has put in. I'm sure it'll improve further over time.

The other part of your complaint is that the BuildInfo is in the .cabal file along with the PackageDescription (the types are pretty well separated internally). Again I don't think there's anything fundamental here, and in fact some packages have separate .buildinfo files.