Claus Reinke wrote:
If the necessary functionality is not yet exposed through
the API, it probably should be (iirc, GHCi's frontend itself
isn't part of the API, but the functionality used by it is, so GHCi
is just one of several GHC API clients; don't know how far the debugger features you are interested in are tied to the frontend or available for all GHC API sessions). As usual, there is the design question of what to expose and how, on which GHC HQ would like user input. Nothing is as helpful for that as an actual use case!-) So, yes, please do report on your experiments.
Actually, I do not think I want much. I just want to have something significantly better than printf debugging for my application. GHC/GHCi hacking is not my primary goal. Even now I think I'm better off with ghci and my extensions than with printf debugging. It will improve much when 6.10.2 is out (fixing ticket #2740 you helped to pin down). This mostly means adding some ghci commands which automate what I'm doing manually when debugging. Most of my expriments are related to the tickets I filled in: checking whether I can have some cheap workarourd till they are implemented or whether they actually help as much as I hope.

That means that for anything more complicated I need access directly to the representation of the same code which is just being debugged. From your response it looks that if I needed something more again I'll just need to create my own version of GHCi driver and reuse the rest through GHC API. If there is some tutorial how to build custom GHCi driver or something else at a higher level (i.e. not the GHC API docs directly), please, let me know.

I'll post when I have my first round of enhancements done and will be able at least guess how much they are helping. It may even help GHC team to decide whether to scrap my tickets or implement them :-D

Thanks,
 Peter.