Donnie Jones wrote:
Hello Simon and Colin,

This information is available on the Prequisites page of the GHC wiki;
however, it's buried at the bottom of the page.  I have updated the
page to mention that a stable release version of GHC is needed when
setting up for Linux and Windows, and I have changed the "Other"
section to be called "Details" since this section describes in detail
the software necessary for building GHC.

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Prerequisites

Thanks Donnie. I've also just modified the configure script so it issues the following helpful message:

configure: error:
/home/simonmar/builds/testing/ghc/stage2-inplace/ghc is a development snapshot of GHC, version 6.11
     Bootstrapping using this version of GHC is not supported, and may not
     work.  Use --enable-bootstrap-with-devel-snapshot to try it anyway,
     or --with-ghc to specify a different GHC to use.