I forget who mentioned this to me, but I think it's a great idea.

Things like VirtualBox and VMWare are pretty easy to install and set up these days. It wouldn't be hard for someone to create a VM image of a Linux system with a complete GHC development environment set up and ready to go.

This would have a lot of benefits:

 * Easy to buy into: just install VirtualBox (or whatever), download
   the image, register it and away you go.

 * Would make the barrier to entry much lower for someone who wants
   to make a small change, e.g. to the docs, or a library.  validate
   and 'darcs send' would Just Work.

 * Would serve as an example of best-practice in setting up a GHC
   development environment.

The hard part might be optimising the install so that we don't end up with an enormous image file. We'd probably need to find a suitably minimal Linux install, or start from an existing minimal Linux VM image.

Anyone feeling keen?