(ii) If "[pads|" is a lexeme, then some list comprehensions become illegal,

I am not myself a TH or QQ user, but it has always bothered me slightly that the syntax for them steals some valid list comprehensions.

Of the alternative syntaxes you suggest...

My gut feel is to go with [|pads| ... |].

... this one feels the nicest, because [| |] is an ascii approximation of the common syntactic brackets used in semantic specifications. In some ways, to make the correspondence even closer,

    pads [| ... |]

might be even better, although I realise that this might present new problems.

Regards,
    Malcolm