On 24/02/2010 12:28, Christian Maeder wrote:

And you got that by just 'cabal install syb'?  What version of
cabal-install?  (cabal --version)

No, just by the Setup, configure, build, install procedure.

"ghc-pkg describe syb" and "ghc-pkg dump" create UTF-8 output.

Aha, I think I see where the bug is. Thanks folks, we'll have it fixed
in 6.12.2.  In the meantime you should use a UTF-8 locale, eg.
LANG=en_US.utf8.

It is not sufficient for me to reinstall this package with this utf8
setting. (I think ghc-pkg needs to be fixed or maybe recompiled under utf8.)

There was a missing hSetEncoding, so that ghc-pkg is writing this file using the current locale rather than UTF-8, but reading it back as UTF-8. So I'm surprised that temporarily setting your locale to UTF-8 doesn't work around it - what happens?