On 12/12/10 12:33, Antoine Latter wrote:
Are there any ways to make this sort of change not break things? There
has been talk about a language extensions to make this thing work out,
but they have never been fleshed out, and they've always been the sort
that sounded like they would have many corner cases.

We could add a warning to GHC, "warning: Monad instance exists in this module without corresponding Applicative and Functor instance" and the like. Then change could be more gradual (e.g. people might apply things like your ghc-patch, base-patch, etc. that increase compatibility).

(Not sure if it's a good idea, just throwing it out there.)

We should also check the performance, if using default method definitions of any stripe. Many things rely on good Monad performance at least.

-Isaac