As promised, here are our plans for forthcoming GHC releases and the git switchover:

 - do a 7.0.2 RC as soon as possible, followed shortly by a release.
   Currently blocking this is a problem with Cabal that shows up on
   OS X 10.6, we hope to have this resolved soon.

 - switch the GHC repo to git (this is ready to go, we just need to
   flip the switch and do some work on the wiki build documentation)

 - switch the libraries and other repositories to git, once we have
   decided on the strategy (mirror or convert) for each one.

 - make a new stable branch for 7.2, and release 7.2.1 shortly after.

So we'll be doing a 7.2.1 release much earlier than planned. Our motivation for doing this is:

 - the 7.0 branch is darcs, but the HEAD will be git, so the longer
   this situation persists the more difficult it is to merge changes.
   Hence we want to fork a new STABLE branch as soon as possible.

 - one of the fixes we need to make soon, to fix equality superclasses,
   is too large a change to put in the 7.0 branch.  We also have some
   pending changes to the internal representation of coercions that
   will be disruptive in HEAD, and will make future merging to 7.0
   difficult.

 - 7.0.2 should be a nice stable release, and HEAD is actually in
   pretty good shape right now too.

FYI, the git repo is now attached to our Trac instance, so you can browse the source tree and history here:

 http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/browser

it's not terribly fast, but it works. With git we'll be able to link directly to commits from tickets and vice-versa. The GHC git repo that we'll be using is here:

 http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc.git

(note different from the URL for the testing repo, although it's the same repo). I'm mirroring this manually from the darcs repo, so it might lag a bit at times.