On 15.08.2011 14:36, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
With help from Conor we have made some progress on this: we have a draft design:
        http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/DefaultSuperclassInstances

If you care about the issue, maybe you can help resolve the above questions. In
particular, to give
concrete evidence for (b), working out some case studies would be a Good Thing.
The examples given in other proposals using the extension proposed here would
be one starting point.

I don't completely understant how does it work. Does client need to enable language extension to get default instances?

Also proposal cannot fix Functor/Applicative/Monad problem without breaking client code. It requires explicit opt-out but client may define Applicative instance. And unless "hiding" is added it will result in compile error.