Quoting "Wolfgang Jeltsch" <g9ks1...@acme.softbase.org>:

Am Mittwoch, den 28.12.2011, 12:48 +0000 schrieb Simon Peyton-Jones:
Only that BOX is a sort (currently the one and only sort), whereas
Constraint is a kind.  I'm not sure that BOX should ever be displayed
to users.

Okay, this makes sense then. However, note that the GHC User’s manual
mixes the terminology (“kind” vs. “sort”) at one point:

    Note that List, for instance, does not get kind BOX -> BOX, because
    we do not further classify kinds; all kinds have sort BOX.

I think, it should say “sort BOX -> BOX”.

I don't think that would be quite correct. Sorts are typically constants, and there are usually a finite amount of them, each presenting a "level" of the type system. For instance, * and BOX are both sorts, even though we also have * :: BOX. In a system where BOX -> BOX would be well-formed, it should probably be called something else, maybe "kind-classifying term" (whose sort would be something new, maybe TRIANGLE).

But it seems a bit funny to spend a lot of time thinking about what to call things that don't exist in GHC. Maybe it'd be easiest to just drop that awkward hypothetical "BOX -> BOX" altogether from the manual.

Lauri