On 20/09/2012 16:25, Iavor Diatchki wrote:
perhaps we should have a well-defined place in the repo where we keep
the finger-prints associated with tags and branches in the main repo?
This would make it a lot easier to get to a fully defined
previous/different state.

We do have tags for releases, so you can say

 ./sync-all checkout ghc-7.6.1-release

and get the exact 7.6.1 sources.

I wouldn't object to also having fingerprints in the repo too though.

On this note, could someone send the link to the 7.6 fingerprint?  Ian
said that it is somewhere in the nightly build logs but I don't where to
look.

-Iavor

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 7:20 AM, Simon Marlow <marlo...@gmail.com
<mailto:marlo...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On 19/09/2012 02:15, Iavor Diatchki wrote:

           > exactly what git's submodule machinery does, so it seems
        pointless to

              > implement the functionality which is already there with
        a standard
              > interface.  Thoughts?

http://hackage.haskell.org/__trac/ghc/wiki/DarcsConversion#__Theperspectiveonsubmodules

<http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/DarcsConversion#Theperspectiveonsubmodules>

        I have seen this.  Our custom "fingerprint" solution has the
        exact same
        drawbacks (because it does the exact same thing as sub-modules),
        and in
        addition it has the drawback of
            1. being a custom non-standard solution,
            2. it is not obvious where to find the "fingerprint"
        associated with
        a particular branch (which is what lead to my question in the
        first place).

    Well, it doesn't quite have the same drawbacks as submodules,
    because our solution places a burden only on someone who wants to
    recover a particular repository state, rather than on everyone doing
    development.

    I think it's worth keeping an eye on submodules in case they fix the
    gotchas in the UI, but at the moment it looks like we'd have a lot
    of confused developers, lost work and accidental breakages due to
    people not understanding how submodules work or forgetting to jump
    through the correct hoops.

    I'm not saying fingerprints are a good solution, obviously they only
    solve a part of the problem, but the current tooling for submodules
    leaves a lot to be desired.