I completely agree with Johan. The problem is to change core APIs too fast.
Adding, say, SIMD instructions or having a new type extension (that needs to be
explicitly activated with a -X option) shouldn't break packages.

I'm all for restricting major API changes to once a year, but why can't we have
multiple updates to the code generator per year or generally release that don't
affect a large number of packages on Hackage?

Manuel