Hi David,

AArch64 is completely new architecture so it's not about extending current ARM support but rather write a new beside it -- at least as a prototype, if there is a lot of synergies you can merge both together later, but I don't see it having a high chance. Well the situation with AArch64 and ARM is very similar to situation with i386 and amd64 support so you can get an idea what's the difference (extended registers set, extended registers width, extended NEON (the least important detail indeed), different calling convention, etc.)

Cheers,
Karel