> Thanks for all the feedback.  Clearly opinion is divided on this one,
> so I'll sit on it and think it through some more.

My assumption was that with what Felipe Lessa suggested, this proposal
is pretty much obsolete.  As I understand it, it provides the same
benefits, the major difference being that you create a symlink instead
of specifying a command line flag.

It has been pointed out that symlinks work just fine with git.

I can see two advantages of this approach over the original proposal:

 - Cabal and other tools will continue to work without any modification

 - Somebody working with your code who is not aware of the "shortcut",
   will still find the source files where he expects them

Are there any disadvantages?

Cheers.