I recommend using macOS package managers to take care of all this. There’s a whole community of knowledgeable folks who have figured out all these build and install details, and I know that it’s simply a matter of doing this to get a working version of the latest, on either x86_64 or arm64 machines:

sudo port install ghc

That’s using MacPorts. There are other options, but I strongly recommend MacPorts for several reasons, especially for development tools.