On 23/12/2020 10:42, Andrew Black via GLLUG wrote:
Happy christmas everyone....

Some time ago someone suggested the idea of solving a tech problem by explaining something to you teddy. He is very stupid so it makes sure you explain it well. Sometimes the process of explaining makes you find the thing the clue you have missed. I cant put my finger on where it came from (does it matter). Google is taking me to all sorts of sites like "how to make teddies" and "why teddies are called ted".

I've not heard of a teddy-bear based approach (and such an approach would surely be based) but what you describe sounds like a variation on the "How do you boil an egg" question that introduces programming.

In review - ask a programming student "How do you boil an egg?" and you might get the answer
1. Get a pan
2. Put egg in pan
3. Put pan on stove
4. Boil it for three minutes.

The above is, of course, a /trick/ question. In my example above, no water was added; "It" could mean boil the pan, not water missing from the pan; and what kind of pan? Frying pan? The trick is *whatever* step is given can be broken down.

The trick question forces the student to examine his human answer for detail appropriate to a program. In the absence of a teacher, explaining your answer to a teddy-bear might do.

Happy chrimbo, all
--
Alistair Mann

t: 07899 846 648