On 15/06/2021 20:45, James Courtier-Dutton via GLLUG wrote:
So, the best defense is using a backup system that cannot be attacked
by a Ransomware attack.
And your second line of defence is a second backup system that cannot be attacked by a Ransomware attack...

For the third, maybe a local backup using a system that does not rely on the OS mounting a drive, and then I would probably put #4 as some really good granular share, file and folder permissions that limits what any one person can do to the system, as that also helps to protect against disgruntled employees getting nasty.  A firewall is very far down my list. And for it to be of any use in this scenario it really does need some form of proxy with a URL blacklist subscription, and you probably already get that with the decent anti-virus solution you should have already bought by this point...

Regards,

Marco