On Tue, 27 Jun 2023 at 10:49, Ken Smith via GLLUG <gllug@mailman.lug.org.uk <mailto:gllug@mailman.lug.org.uk>> wrote:

    Ken Smith via GLLUG wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I wonder if someone with Debian and pxe understanding might
    point me
    > in the right direction.
    >
    > I have a Rocky server with dhcp/tftp/httpd that hosts Rocky and
    Fedora
    > as pxe bootable images. It works fine.
    >
    > I'm trying to do similar for Debian 12 but not quite getting the
    right
    > incantations.
    >
    > The vmlinuz and initrd load just fine and i get the error
    "Unable to
    > find live system filesystem on the network"
    >
    > I pointed the root filesystem at filesystem.squashfs. Is the
    standard
    > vmlinuz/initrd able to map the rest of the system via httpd??
    >
    > Any tips welcome
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Ken

    I'm making progress. I added dhcp ethdevice=eno1  to the
    parameters in
    the pxe configuration and now one of my PC's finds the
    filesystem.squashfs and attempts to boot. It freezes at "Starting
    Gnome
    Display Manager"

    I tried another system that has more memory and it fails with a
    message
    that it can't find eno1. Interesting.

    :-) Ken

John Hearns via GLLUG wrote:
Ethernet device naming is a minefield, even with the predictable names (yeah I know.. do some studying)

I set biosdevname=1 in the kernel parameters when building HPC clusters
In the end I got it working by leaving out the "ethdevice=" statement and letting the booting system work it out.

:-) Thanks Ken

believed to be clean.