I just downloaded and installed GLPI. All went well. Thanks for well debugged
install (or was

I just lucky?).

It certainly went smoother than i-doti, iTop, or OCS.

I chose GLPI over i-doit and iTop mainly due to simplicity. Especially

the first, although comprehensive, is so complex and heavy that it

put me off immediately. iTop on the other hand ate my data.

On the GUI front the Inventory/Computers/All screen wastes a lot of vertical
screen

real estate for not very essential fields in the Computer card, necessitating

much scrolling to get to the bottom where all the interesting stuff, such as

network connections, are. At the same time it does not make much use of

horizontal screen real estate, leaving wide white unused areas on left

and right. Perhaps the not so interesting fields could be packed into three

column view that would make use of the available horizontal real estate to

avoid vertical scrolling? My screen is 1024x768 laptop, Firefox 3.5.

Is the layout (and displayed fields) customizable short of editing the php code?

My planned use for GLPI is to manage virtual machines, servers, on Amazon and
other

clouds. As these are not desktop PCs, many of the current fields are
uninteresting

and other new fields specific to my purpose need to be added.

I am also interested on developing a "diff tool" that would diff the actual
machines

as seen through Amazon AWS API, and ssh probes to the machines themselves,

to the GLPI database. Then you could choose either to pull the actual state

to the database or push the database to the cloud (i.e. instantiate, terminate,

and reconfigure machines until they match the database).

Are you aware of any such effort already ongoing?

Is it a big sin to access the database directly or should I invest in "plugin"?

Finally, can GLPI be characterized as CMDB (Configuration Management DataBase),

especially in ITIL sense? It seems awful lot like it is CMDB, but you do not
advertise

it as such on your website. Any reason?

Cheers,

--Sampo