On 08/11/2014 11:20 AM, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:

On 08/09/2014 12:18 AM, Harshavardhana wrote:

Some initial thoughts on the solution based on Harsha/Joe/Emmanuel's
inputs are:
1) gluster volume heal <volname> info split-brain should give output in
some 'format' giving stat/pending-matrix etc for all the files in
split-brain.
   - Unfortunately we still don't have a way to provide with file paths
without doing 'find' on the bricks.
2) User saves this output to a file and makes modifications to this file
giving his choices of files he wants as sources.
3) 'gluster volume heal <volname> split-brain input-file <file>' will
take the inputs and fixes the files.

Question is, is it worthwhile to implement the two commands proposed by
Ravi to begin with and implement the solution above in subsequent releases?
Because these things are easier to implement and I feel they definitely
address some of the pain points I have observed dealing with users.

This approach looks good to me. We still need to think through and carefully design an interactive mechanism for resolving split-brains. While we evolve that interface, we can implement commands proposed by Ravi in the near term to alleviate some user pain points.

-Vijay