On Monday 07 September 2015 09:38 PM, Jeff Darcy wrote:
Agree here. I think we can use Go as the other non-C language for
components like glusterd, geo-replication etc. and retire the python
implementation of gsyncd that exists in 3.x over time.

That sounds like a pretty major effort.  Are you suggesting that it
(or even part of it) should be part of 4.0?

Not for the first cut of 4.0 but we can take this up as a goal for a subsequent 4.x release. We do not have a lot of non C code. syncdaemon and glusterfind are probably the only non C pieces that exist today in the codebase (excluding tests, glupy). The python implementation of gsyncd is not one of my favorite pieces of code in the repository. I find it obscure and am slightly concerned about it from a maintainability perspective. A refactor might make it easier to manage over time.

python will still be present as part of our distaf test infrastructure.
We can possibly port our bash test scripts to python and retire the
usage of BASH with Gluster.next releases.

Getting rid of bash scripts sounds great, but we're talking about 420
scripts - many of them quite opaque and thus tedious to port to
another language/framework.  I suspect that some of these tests will
linger in their current form for quite some time to come.

Yes, agree with you. We can look at having new tests in python and do a lazy conversion of existing test units to python.

-Vijay