[pulling the conclusions up to enable better in-line]

> Conclusions:
>
> We should never have a volume with caching-related xlators disabled. The
> price we pay for it is too high. We need to make them work consistently and
> aggressively to avoid as many requests as we can.

Are there current issues in terms of behavior which are known/observed
when these are enabled?

> We need to analyze client/server xlators deeper to see if we can avoid some
> delays. However optimizing something that is already at the microsecond level
> can be very hard.

That is true - are there any significant gains which can be accrued by
putting efforts here or, should this be a lower priority?

> We need to determine what causes the fluctuations in brick side and avoid
> them.
> This scenario is very similar to a smallfile/metadata workload, so this is
> probably one important cause of its bad performance.

What kind of instrumentation is required to enable the determination?

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 1:48 PM Xavi Hernandez <xhernan...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've done some tracing of the latency that network layer introduces in
> gluster. I've made the analysis as part of the pgbench performance issue (in
> particulat the initialization and scaling phase), so I decided to look at
> READV for this particular workload, but I think the results can be
> extrapolated to other operations that also have small latency (cached data
> from FS for example).
>
> Note that measuring latencies introduces some latency. It consists in a call
> to clock_get_time() for each probe point, so the real latency will be a bit
> lower, but still proportional to these numbers.

[snip]