Bummer.

That is from gettext which I thought was only optional.

I got it using either Homebrew (http://brew.sh/) or macports

Homebrew seems quite good these days I would prob. recommend that.

It will install using a one-liner in /usr/local and but require sudo right
underway to sett rights

brew install gettext

It will require setting some CFLAGS / LDFLAGS when ./configure:
LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/opt/gettext/lib
CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/opt/gettext/include

cheers,
:-Dennis