Sean Davis wrote:

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 9:58 AM, randall <rand...@songshu.org <mailto:rand...@songshu.org>> wrote:

    dear all,

    second post ;)

    another question here, also in most examples i noticed the
    infiniband or 10 GigE recommendation, does this really do any good
    for the individual server connection?
    another assumption on my side was that 1 individual server can
    never saturate a full gigabit link due to the disk throughput
limitation, (maybe a few 100 MBps at most)

    so if every server has a 1 Gigabit connection to a switch which in
    turn has a 10 GigE uplink it would not be a bottleneck (as long as
    there are not too many servers sharing the 10 GigE uplink)

    correct?

If one server has multiple disks (or RAIDS) and each is being read simultaneously, it is certainly possible to saturate a single GigE connection under some conditions.

Sean

thnx,

that confirms my suspicion then, meaning it would be overkill to use more then a gigabit link considering i never use the kind of hardware that would be able to match these numbers,

you're right, i should have been more precise about what was assumed.

--

www.songshu.org
Just another collection of nuts