On Tue, 28 Jul 2009, Wei Dong wrote:

Hi All,

We've been using GlusterFS 2.0.1 on our lab cluster to host a large number of small images for distributed processing with Hadoop and it has been working fine without human intervention for a couple of months. Thanks for the wonderful project -- it's the only freely available cluster filesystem that fits our needs.

What keeps bothering me is the extremely high flexibility of ClusterFS. There's simply so many ways to achieve the same goal that I don't know which is the best. So I'm writing to ask if there are some general guidelines of configuration to improve both data safety and performance.

Totally understand, I am facing many of the same issues, I am not sure if I should be doing replicate / distribute in the frontend client config or backend server configs.

-Nathan