On Mar 10, 2010, at 10:26 AM, Ian Rogers wrote:

> As far as I can tell from the docs, gluster has a very naive algorithm for
> picking which brick to read from and write to.
>
> For reading it scans the "subvolumes" entry left to right, finding which
> brick has the file with the most recent create time the largest "modification
> count". It then uses the left most one.
>
> For writing - either user initiated or to self-heal out of date files - it
> just writes to all subvolumes that are available.

Self-heal is not that simplistic. Because replicate writes a "changelog" before
and after every write (any kind of modification), it can derive the node that
is most up-to-date during self-heal.

I understand that many people have questions about how self-heal works, and I'm
in the process of documenting the internals of replication. I'll post it here
in a few days.
Hopefully it will answer all your questions.

Vikas Gorur
Engineer - Gluster, Inc.
+1 (408) 770 1894