I had the same thing happen to me on RHEL6 with /var being it's own mount point. All I had to do was copy /etc/glusterd to /var/lib/ as you did, run the remaining part of the RPM's script by hand, then rename my vol files back in place.

To get the RPM script: rpm -q --scripts glusterfs-server

Just run everything other than the first if block after you move the dir by hand. Next, rename your vol files (move the .rpmsave ones to their real names): find /var/lib/glusterd/ -name '*.rpmsave'

Jeff White - Linux/Unix Systems Engineer
University of Pittsburgh - CSSD