I agree on the fewer bricks. Also see if you can use Infiniband.

Best Regards
Ivan

On 10/2/12 11:29 PM, Robert Hajime Lanning wrote:
On 10/02/12 13:01, ja...@combatyoga.net wrote:
Basically, I'm trying to figure out if Gluster will perform better with
more storage nodes in the storage block or if I would be better off
consolidating the storage to a few of the systems and freeing up the
resources for the email services on the remaining systems.  I've had
mixed results testing this in a KVM virtual environment, however it's
getting down to the time where I need to make some decisions on ordering
hardware.  I do know that RAID1 and RAID5 do not compare apples to
apples for performance,  I'm looking for thoughts from the community as
to which way you would set it up.

With maildir, I believe that fewer bricks would perform better. The maildir format tends to be readdir() heavy. Since Gluster does not have a master index of directory entries, it has to hit every brick in the volume.